Slået op d. 14.05.2023
Drop anchor at Germany’s northernmost university
More than 3,500 students are enrolled in 19 degree programmes at Flensburg University of Applied Sciences (FUAS). At FUAS we research and teach in state-of-the-art laboratories and lecture halls located on a spacious and green campus. Flensburg’s maritime flair and its location right at the Baltic Sea and the border to Denmark make it a great place to live and study
FUAS and its Faculty for Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering and Maritime Technologies are seeking a
Professor for Ship Operation and Industrial Plant Engineering
The position is available for the next possible starting date.
The position is allocated with the Centre for Maritime Studies at FUAS which enjoys an excellent reputation due to numerous research projects as well as contract research activities and continuing and further training. The annually held conference Informationstagung zur Schiffsbetriebsforschung (ISF-Tagung) contributes to the Centre’s reputation and the strengthening of its network. This network includes numerous partner institutions from industry and research – from our region, from Germany and from across the world.
What your tasks will be:
• Holding lectures and classes in the fields of ship operation engineering and industrial plant engineering as well as simulator training in the bachelor’s degree programme Ship Operation and Industrial Plant Engineering and additional bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. The main working language and language of instruction in the Faculty is German, English is used on some occasions.
• Developing the maritime degree programmes further.
• Coordination of the degree programme (taking turns with other colleagues).
• Dealing with vocational aspects (Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH), Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW), Ständige Arbeitsgemeinschaft Küstenländer (permanent consortium of coastal countries, StAK)) relevant for the degree programme recognition to award the schiffstechnische Befähigungszeugnis (marine certificate of competence) to the graduates of the Ship Operation Engineering major.
• Academic and scientific supervision and further development of maritime installations for teaching and research
• Research and development, technology transfer, participation in FUAS’ political bodies, representation of Ship Operation and Industrial Plant Engineering in the context of politics, industry and society
• Recruitment activities (visits to schools and training centres, hosting school classes, giving tours, supporting school projects)
• Organising conferences and similar events (ISF-Tagung)
• Willingness to play an active role in the academic self-administration of our university
Your qualifications and experience:
• You hold a STCW Certificate of Competence as engineer officer (Befähigungszeugnis zur Leitung der Maschinenanlage) with no limitation on management level
• Several years of experience as an engineer officer or in superintendence or a similar position, ideally as chief engineer on board
• Thorough knowledge of marine engineering
• Didactic aptitude
• Ability and willingness to play an active role in specialised bodies on maritime topics
• Ability and willingness to teach classes in English
• Ability and willingness to acquire third party funding for research and technology transfer projects as well as lead these projects from a subject-specific perspective
Additional qualification that would be desirable:
• Experience in applying for and carrying out research and development projects
• Experience in industrial plant engineering
• Experience in working with or for shipyards
• Teaching experience in the marine education sector
• Relevant doctorate or academic competence on a comparable level
• Create an impact in your area of teaching and research
• Set up Industrial Plant Engineering as a new major of its own in the existing degree programme Marine Engineering and support our team of colleagues in creating a new degree programme Marine and Industrial Plant Engineering
• Be an active part of knowledge and technology transfer as well as research activities and get involved in other parts of our university, too
• Participate in trainings in teaching and didactics
In addition to the general employment requirements according to civil service law, the applicant will have to fulfil the following criteria in accordance with §61 of the Schleswig-Holstein Higher Education Act [HSG]: successful completion of a postgraduate degree, pedagogical and didactic aptitude, particular competence in academic work which is normally demonstrated by the good quality of the doctorate. Further requirements are: special achievements in the application or development of scientific findings and methods as part of a minimum of five years work experience, three of which must have been completed outside a university environment. The Higher Education Act is available online: http://www.gesetze-rechtsprechung.sh.juris.de/ (in German).
Please note that in accordance with §61 para. 5 of Schleswig-Holstein’s Higher Education Act (HSG) candidates can be chosen for the position of professor without having completed a doctorate if there is proof of their extraordinary achievements and abilities in their relevant professional career and their pedagogical aptitude.
The professorship will be filled for a limited time of two years at first; thus making the holder of the professorship a temporary civil servant. It is planned to continue the professorship and employ the professor as a civil servant for life after the applicant’s pedagogical aptitude has been verified successfully. Incentive bonuses may be granted in addition to the salary depending on the quality of work.
FUAS encourages the inclusion of disabled people. Disabled applicants will therefore receive preference over equally qualified non-disabled applicants.
FUAS seeks to increase the number of women in research and teaching and therefore explicitly encourages qualified women to apply for this post. Women will receive preference over equally qualified male applicants.
We welcome and encourage applications from all ethnic backgrounds.
FUAS will offer information and support in finding adequate job opportunities for your partner.
Please e-mail your application including all the necessary documents (CV, certificates) to firstname.lastname@example.org address it to Flensburg University of Applied Sciences – Hochschule Flensburg, the President, Dr. Christoph Jansen, Postfach 15 61, 24905 Flensburg, Germany. The application deadline is 15 June 2023.
We explicitly ask all applicants not to include a photograph in your application.
For further information on this post please contact the Head of the Appointment Committee, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Michael Thiemke, vie e-mail at email@example.com or via phone at +49 (0) 461 805 1808.